At its formation, the Shire assumed responsibility for services previously provided by the Shire of Wiluna. Since then the Shire has been steadily improving and extending the range of services provided to the communities. In implementing these services the Council has needed to allow for the culture and sensitivities of the local communities.
Initially in most instances this was achieved by making contributions to fund existing facilities and services such as ovals, street lights, welfare, TV and radio retransmission and culture. However increasingly the Shire is now taking the more conventional avenue and providing the service directly. This includes Health, Building, Tourism, Road Construction, Sealing and Unsealed Maintenance, Sports & Recreation (Warburton only due to funding), Project management and other community-based programs.
Current Services (limited to funding availability)
- Management Services - Tjulyuru Cultural & Civic Centre.
- Rubbish collection - Warburton, limited service (other locations ceased due to lack of funding).
- Project Management.
- School holiday youth recreation programme, Warburton.
- Maintenance of Football/Recreation Oval - Warburton.
- Road construction and maintenance across the whole Shire.
- Health services - Environmental Health Officer services all aboriginal communities within the Shire.
- Building services - Building Surveyor issues building licences and inspects all new building and structures within the Shire.
- Youth/Drop in Centre at Warburton.
- Provide rebroadcasting of digital TV/Radio programmes Warburton & Blackstone.
- Sport & Recreation programme, limited to Warburton.
- Local Emergency Management Arrangements
- Compliance with State & Federal legislation
Responsible for recreational programs/activities at the oval or Community Hall, movies, school sports carnival and community run swimming pools in Warburton.
Road Construction and Maintenance
The Shire is responsible for the maintenance of all roads currently on the Shire's Road Inventory. The Shire currently tenders the work to contractors.
Major Roads maintained by the Shire:
- Great Central Road (Outback Way) 438kms
- Irrunytju Road 136kms
- Blackstone Access Road 244kms
- Tjukurla Road 94kms
- Tjirrkarli Road 97kms
- Wanarn Road 19kms
- Patjarr Road 193kms
- Mantamaru Road 52kms
- Nyinnga Road 3kms
- Warakurna Road 8kms
- Wingellina Road 7kms
- Kanpa Road 25kms
Council provides a limitedr waste collection service at Warburton due to lack of funding (other locations ceased due to funding constraints). A Works team employed from within the community carry out the Waste Collection program. The capital and operating cost of duplicating plant and depots has prevented the extension of the service to other communities at this stage.
Local Emergency Management Arrangements
- the local government’s policies for emergency management;
- the roles and responsibilities of public authorities and other persons involved in emergency management in the local government district;
- provisions about the coordination of emergency operations and activities relating to emergency management;
- a description of emergencies that are likely to occur in the local government district;
- strategies and priorities for emergency management in the local government district;
- other matters about emergency management in the local government district prescribed by the regulations; and
- other matters about emergency management in the local government district the local government considers appropriate. (s.41(2) of the Act).